MADISON, Wis. — Today, committees of the Wisconsin state Assembly will hold public hearings on Republican-authored bills that would make it harder for Wisconsinites to access affordable healthcare and would take essential benefits away from Wisconsinites who have lost their jobs.
“This is yet another missed opportunity by these right-wing Republican state legislators,” said Mike Browne, Deputy Director of A Better Wisconsin Together. “When they could be working with Gov. Evers and Democrats to expand healthcare, family and medical leave and create family supporting jobs, they’re instead focusing on taking health insurance and unemployment benefits away from people who need it.”
Rather than trying to take resources away from Wisconsinites, legislative Republicans could instead be focused on the following items proposed in Governor Evers’ new biennial budget:
- Providing tax relief to middle class families;
- Expanding family and medical leave and affordable childcare;
- Increasing shared revenue to boost community resources across local municipalities;
- Improving rural access to affordable high speed internet;
- Fully funding Wisconsin public schools;
- Expanding BadgerCare to cover more people in need of healthcare.
“From affordable healthcare to fully funded schools, Wisconsinites want leaders who deliver on the issues that matter most to us,” said Browne. “But Republican legislators are instead costing Wisconsin families.”
Together, we can make sure that all of us in Wisconsin – from rural counties to city blocks – are cared for. Call your legislator today at 1-800-362-9472 and demand they get their priorities straight by focusing on a future where all of us can see a doctor when we’re sick and have support if we fall on hard times.