Over the weekend, Congress and President Biden reached a funding agreement that successfully blocked MAGA Republicans’ push for a government shutdown that would have forced service members and government workers to work without pay, hurt small businesses, and harmed America’s middle and working class.
The reprieve comes no thanks to Republican Congressmen Tom Tiffany and Scott Fitzgerald – representing Wisconsin communities from Milwaukee and Mequon to Chippewa Falls and Wausau – who voted in favor of a shutdown, and therefore supported severe cuts to programs that help millions of hardworking people provide for their families.
With their votes, Tiffany and Fitzgerald happily endorsed:
- 900 Wisconsin service members losing their pay;
- 90,000+ Wisconsinites put at risk of losing critical nutrition assistance;
- 500+ TSA officers and 70+ air traffic controllers in Wisconsin being forced to work without pay;
- $3,000,000+ in losses for Wisconsin’s small businesses;
- Several delays for disaster recovery projects across Wisconsin; and more.
While the deal passed by Congress and signed by President Biden is a critical reprieve for thousands of families, the funding is only extended for 45 days, at which point MAGA politicians like Tiffany and Fitzgerald could once again vote against the well-being of Wisconsinites.
Call your federal representatives today and demand they work together to support the programs and resources that help constituents build good lives for our families. Because in Wisconsin, we deserve leaders who will prioritize our concerns and put people over politics.
You can reach Tiffany’s office here: (202) 225-3365, and Fitzgerald’s office here: (202) 225-5101.