A Better Wisconsin Together (ABWT) is seeking a full time Research Director to develop and manage an innovative portfolio of message, opposition, candidate and elected leader research.
The ideal candidate will be able to balance multiple issues, partners, and projects while keeping a careful eye on the long-term vision and research plan. They will thrive working in a team environment to execute coordinated research for priority issues and campaigns.
This position is a member of the Senior Leadership Team reporting directly to the Executive Director and works in concert with the ED and other members of the senior staff.
About A Better Wisconsin Together
ABWT, the new progressive state communications and research hub in Wisconsin, is seeking a research director to join our team. We’re an advocacy organization focused on public policy and serving as a center for progressive message development, testing and communications. This is an exciting position where you will be leading innovative and research driven communication tactics to advance progressive values. Along with rapid response and earned media, ABWT engages Wisconsinites on issues using paid digital, television and radio communications.
This position is based in Madison, Wisconsin, but may require some travel, as well as evening and weekend hours, as needed. We are a small, nimble team working in a fast-paced environment on the frontlines of the fight to advance progressive values and policies in Wisconsin.
- Creating and managing the strategies, tools and systems used to inform ABWT’s overall research plan, including for the 2020 election cycle and long term civic engagement work.
- Working closely with Badger State Research, designing, executing and evaluating issue and electoral research — including being responsible for fact checking and verifying information on all external communications (digital, mail, scripts, etc).
- Coordinating projects with consultant team, BSR and other relevant partner organizations.
- Increasing capacity for partner organizations research and communications infrastructure while balancing ABWT/BSR research needs.
- Responsible for designing and implementing ABWT’s research plan in conjunction with the ED, Other senior staff, partners, and consultants.
- Ability to manage staff as needed
We are seeking candidates who have strong technical and political skills, who understand and have experience developing innovative communications tactics and who are committed to leveraging research in communications and civic engagement. 5-8 years leading research projects or programs in advocacy or political environments required.
You should have:
- A commitment to helping partner organizations improve their communications infrastructure and capacity
- A strong commitment to working in a tight team with positive, supportive attitude
- A deep understanding of communications tactics that drive voter behavior and engagement
- Specific experience in motivating people to take action through communications tactics
- A curiosity to learn and dive into the latest messaging and communications research
- Technology friendly
- An demonstrated commitment to disrupting racism and other systemic barriers in the advocacy world
Salary is at least $80,000 annually. Benefits include health and dental insurance.
Compensation depends on experience and is competitive.