A Better Wisconsin Together (ABWT) is seeking a full time Communications Manager to assist in building and executing a strategic communications plan, writing content for multiple audiences, and working closely with the digital and communications teams to implement ABWT earned, rapid response, and owned communications strategies.
The ideal candidate will have excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to absorb and process information quickly. They will thrive working in a team environment to create and write communications materials for priority issues and campaigns. Additionally, they will have experience planning, implementing, and executing strategic communications plans and be able to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders.
This position reports to the Executive Director and works in partnership with the research, digital, and communications team members.
Start Date: As soon as possible
Application Deadline: Rolling
Job Length: Full Time Position
Location: Currently remote, with an expectation of Madison, WI upon office reopening
About A Better Wisconsin Together
ABWT, a progressive state communications and research hub in Wisconsin, is seeking a Communications Manager to join our team. We’re an advocacy organization focused on public policy and serving as a center for progressive message development, testing, and communications. This is an exciting position where you will be working with a team to advance progressive values. Along with rapid response and earned media, ABWT engages Wisconsinites on issues using paid digital, television, and radio communications.
While this position is currently remote, it will be based in Madison, Wisconsin upon the re-opening of our offices once it is safe to do so. Our in-person office is currently closed due to COVID-19. Additionally, this position may require some evening and weekend hours as needed. We are a small, nimble team working in a fast-paced environment on the frontlines of the fight to advance progressive values and policies in Wisconsin.
- Under supervision of the Executive Director and Chief Program Officer, research, write, and prepare background information, reports, and presentations regarding public policy issues and public figures;
- Prepare and update media clips and coverage;
- Develop and implement a strategic communications plan that advances progressive policy through earned and owned media efforts;
- Collaborate closely with research team on targeted projects such as right wing and media accountability
- Write message briefings and talking points for the organization and the progressive infrastructure in Wisconsin
- Draft, edit, and send earned media releases, columns, and press pitches
- Own projects end-to-end as assigned and overseen by manager
We are seeking candidates with a passion for progressive politics who have strong verbal and written communications skills, who understand and have experience developing and executing strategic communications plans. The ideal candidate will also have experience creating narratives that engage constituencies, and who are interested in a fast paced, team oriented environment.
You should have:
- Demonstrated creative and persuasive writing abilities
- A track record of building relationships with key stakeholders, including partner organizations and members of the media
- A curious work style that is innovative and data driven
- A strong commitment to working in a tight team with positive, supportive attitude and the willingness to be flexible and take on additional tasks as needed
- Experience managing short-term and long-term goals and projects
- An demonstrated commitment to disrupting racism and other systemic barriers in the advocacy world
- Experience coming up with insightful, pragmatic, equitable, and sustainable ways to tackle common challenges and produce positive change
Salary is between $45,000-$65,000 annually. Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance.